Sunday, November 28, 2010

Picky Eaters

This article interested me because I always find myself annoyed with picky eaters. With kids, I can understand when all they want to eat is grilled cheese or something. It's understandable for them to be nervous to try new things, such as eating different foods than they are used to. But whenever I come across someone around my age or older who is a picky eater, I am automatically annoyed with them. Is it really that hard to just try something new? And is it really reasonable for them to make an adult go out of their way to make something else for them just because they're deciding to be picky? After reading this article, it made more sense to me why some people are picky eaters. It's weird to think that there could actually be such thing as a selective eating disorder. What makes me believe that this could actually exist is that the article specifically showed a sixty-three year old man who believes he suffers from this. He doesn't just simply not want to try things, but he finds himself frustrated with the fact that most foods look completely un-appetizing to his taste. It displayed how there are many other people out there who feel the same way as this man. I think that the difference between a picky eater and someone with a selective eating disorder is the desire to want to be eating a variety of foods. With a picky eater, I'm guessing that they are completely fine with their lack of variety. This kind of person usually refuses to eat certain foods, but won't even try them in the first place. Someone with a selective eating disorder wishes that they could branch out of their simplistic diet, but literally all other foods look disgusting and un-edible to them. One thing that did stand out to me in the article was when the sixty-three year old man said that his picky eating lead to the downfall of two of his marriages. That doesn't really sound right to me. If it is true, those must have been some extremely unstable marriages. Overall, I guess I'll now be slower to judge someone when I pick up on the fact that they are a "picky eater."

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/40357712/ns/health-diet_and_nutrition/?gt1=43001

No comments:

Post a Comment